Thursday, October 10, 2013

TEDxDetroit 2013: A Pep Rally for Detroit

I love TEDxDetroit. I look forward to it like a kid waits impatiently for Christmas! And, as always, TEDxDetroit did not disappoint this year.


I have always rooted for Detroit, showing my support in any way I can, and attending TEDxDetroit is like being a part of a huge Detroit Pep Rally. So many supporters. So many positive-minded people. So many great ideas and bright highlights of the future.

So I started the day by meeting up with an old time friend Joe Carioti who, as you may know, I've podcasted with intensively over the past 10 years on a plethora of subjects--most recently Social Media Meltdown. He introduce me to his friend Alex then introduced us both to his friend Tara. Joe is one of those guys that knows everyone. Not only is TED about the talks but it's about meeting new people and making new connections.
There were so many great, awesome, fabulous, inspiring speakers that took the stage on October 2, 2013 at Cobo Center's new Grand Ballroom. Here are some of my favorite soundbites and highlights from the day:


Jackie Victor, owner of Avalon Bread in Detroit, makes a great point here. Detroit is in a big mess and only true innovation will bring it out of that dark place.


I thought this selfie with the Google Glasses was cleaver. Then later this guy was featured in Jason Vazzano's talk about Vectorform and wearable technologies. Sorry, guy.

It really was a beautiful day. And when we were roaming around Cobo on breaks all pumped up from the talks it felt so good to stand in the sun and bask in Detroit's beautiful skyline.



Yes, you're reading that correctly. Backyard Brains did some crazy neuroscience stuff on a cockroach. You can read more about it on their website.



I'll remember the red wine next time!

Being in automotive and a technology junkie, John Capp's talk abut how automated driving isn't too far away made me so excited! Can you imagine everything we can accomplish during our work commutes when we no longer have to drive or pay attention?! Can you say naptime?

What can I say? Doin' my thang.

Like I said earlier, sorry for the selfie. I hope you saw this and didn't think I was too creepy.
Charlie LeDuff, wow. I really have a newfound respect for him and for him telling it like it is. He left the crowd speechless with his bluntness.
Here is what the mainstream media is saying:
BOTTOM LINE:
We are the X. The multipliers. The catalysts. The connectors. The amplifiers. The idea people who back it up with action. We challenge the status quo. We are creators, artists, entrepreneurs, designers, geeks, poets, scientists, thinkers and doers. We come together to collaborate, to share fresh ideas and to find inspiration. We believe Michigan is a great place to live, work and play. We are optimistic about our future. We believe Detroit's best days lie ahead. We are the people making it happen. We believe that is an idea worth spreading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...