Tuesday, October 22, 2013

What I Would Do With Google Glass

I can't lie. I want a pair of Google Glass.
I really want a pair, but I also don't want to pay the price tag to have them. There are some developers out there giving them out so that would be a great option. They want you to test their software in return for having a pair of Glass. I'm okay with that, I'll be a guinea pig. Google is/was giving them out too... but only to the select few. (They had this #ifIhadGlass campaign going for awhile to choose a lucky few recipients but it appears that contest has since been closed.)

As some sort of show of worthyness these people ask, "Why do you want Google Glass?" and "What will you do with Glass?"

These are such loaded questions. I feel obligated to give them this long, monumental speech about how I believe the technology behind Google Glass will change the world... bring world peace... end hunger. I feel like I need to dazzle them with the extensive research I've done on augmented reality and what this technology means for society. Or I feel like I need to pitch to them some software I created and want to test (which I haven't done and don't have the knowledge or skill set to even attempt).

But truthfully, here is Why I Want a Pair of Google Glass:
  1. AR is pretty sweet
  2. I like technology, but I'm not techie
  3. I don't look too terrible in glasses
Here is Why I'll Never Be Given a Pair of Google Glass and The Number One Reason Why I Should Be Given Google Glass:
  1. I'm a normal, average girl with no special tech skills or outstanding accomplishments
Yes, the number one reason why I'll never be given a pair is the one reason why I should be... I'm average. The average technology user is intimidated by new technology, especially something so abstract as augmented reality. These average users make up the vast majority of potential consumers for the market so why not market a product and technology to them on their level? Show them they don't need any superhuman computer skills to use Glass. Show them there is still value in owning a pair even if they're not technologically-inclined. Ease their pain points about the technology by putting the product into the hands of normal, every day, AVERAGE people.

All we're seeing right now are these super-tech heroes flaunting their Glass at TEDx events and in the media, people with 20k followers on Twitter and Instagram. What about the grocery shoppers, the soccer moms, the accountants putting in overtime, or the parking attendants--average people? 

To answer the question "What will you do with Glass?" I find it easier to answer What will I NOT do with Google Glass:

1. Perpetuate the Stereotype - I solemnly swear to never be a Glasshole.

2. Wear More Than One Pair - You're just bragging if you wear or own more than one pair of Glass. Share the love with other, less fortunate people and let their curiosity run wild! Unlike the people I've met wearing Glass, I'll gladly take a break from wearing Glass so another average Joe can test them out for a few minutes. 

3. Take a Shower Wearing Glass - This is just irresponsible! If you're worthy enough to have a pair of Glass then you should show them the respect that they deserve by removing them in the presence of water. This goes for showering, swimming, and (sadly) polar bear plunging.

4. Participate in Child Abuse - The idea of filming or photographing from point of view (POV) is a great idea but I have bad luck and I'm very accident prone. I will not be swinging children around by their arms, risking dislocated shoulders, for the sake of a picture. Children every where will rejoice. In addition, I promise to always ask for permission before capturing footage of strangers, especially children.

5. Make the Sterotypical Girl Kissey Face in Glass Selfies - Selfies wearing my Glass will happen. I will refuse any urge I have to make a kissey face--a facial expression that will surely invalidate my experience in the eyes of my peers. 

6. Pose Nude with Glass - I'm not sure why anyone would find this necessary but I vow to never pose nude for the sake of owning Google Glass. Yes, the glasses are sexy but let's not take the attention off them. And let's be honest: normal, every day, average people don't pose nude with their belongings for the public.

7. Get Lost - I'm pretty sure that with a display focused smack-dab in front of my face it will be pretty hard to get lost. However, this one isn't guaranteed. I've been known for getting lost in impossible situations. On a good day I can't find my way out of a paper bag. I'm not ashamed through.

8. Wear Glass Over Glasses - This looks silly and totally dorky. Also it's like wearing sunglasses over your glasses or the 3D movie glasses over your glasses, it's just not comfortable. 

9. Reinforce People's Fears - As with all new technologies, people are resistant and scared. A lot of people are afraid that Google Glass is going to be used to secretly record people and, in the process, remove a sense of privacy from every day conversations. I vow to never capture images without a person's knowing consent.

10. Compare Myself to Iron Man - I'll try really hard but I can't make any promises. Iron Man's AR is super cool and to have something similar for myself is enough to make me feel like a superhero. Besides, putting Glass on a pedestal along with Tony Stark technologies will only make average users even more intimidated. I mean, who isn't intimidated by the AR and other futuristic technologies he has tucked away in his basement?

11. Pretend to Be Someone I'm Not - I'll never claim to be some high-tech superhero, a secret agent Google spy, or anything other than just a normal, every day person living a perfectly average life (with a weird pair of glasses). I don't know anything more or have any more skills than the average person and I'm perfectly happy living out my days as such.


I think these 11 reasons make me an incredible candidate for Glass--morally outstanding citizen and average Joe (Jane). In my opinion, you couldn't ask for anyone better to test and show off your product.



If you can (or know someone who can) hook me up with a pair of Glass I would be eternally grateful. I will prove to the world what an average person can do with the power of the Glass and spread good news and fortune to the masses.

If possible, I'd prefer a black pair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...