Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Review: Zagg Folio

I've really been wanting a case/keyboard combo for my iPad 2 but I hadn't really found one I liked.

A lot of the keyboards I came across had a very "Microsoft" feel to them like this Bluetooth® Keyboard Pro Portfolio for iPad® Tablet sold at Brookstone. So I came up with a list of requirements I needed a case to fulfill for me to deem it worthy of my use. It had to be a case and keyboard combo. The keyboard needed to have the same look and feel as the Apple product family. It had to be protective of my iPad. It had to be light in weight and easy to carry around in one of my fancy handbags. And last, but not least, I needed something easy to use. I just want to pull it out of my bag and start typing immediately.

After doing some research, I ended up going with the ZaggFolio, which was also highly recommended by Consumer Reports.



After using the case for a few months, it definitely does not disappoint!

Made of light-weight plastic contruction, the Zagg Folio features a carbonfiber-like exterior in a broad range of colors or several leather options and the keyboard comes in either black, silver or white. I went with a pink/raspberry case and silver keyboard combo. Although you're adding a keyboard and case to the bulk of the iPad, it still feels slim and portable!

Setup was quick and painless! First slide you iPad into the top half of the case and then you're ready for pairing. To pair, you just had to switch the power switch on the keyboard to the "on" position and press the "connect" button. Then by opening your iPad's bluetooth connectivity settings, you can pair the keyboard in a matter of seconds and never have to worry about it again.

You also hardly have to worry about charging the keyboard. I believe I remember Zagg bragging somewhere on their site that you should only have to charge the keyboard four times a year. So far, this has been true. In the eight months I have been toting the Zagg Folio around, I have only charged the keyboard once! When you do have to charge it, simply plug it in using the complimentary microUSB cord.

A lot of the people that have tested out my case have commented on the small keys and their proximity to each other. I personally like the feel of the keyboard, but I have small hands so I can see how typing might be cramped for someone with larger hands.

One great feature of the keyboard is that it has a lot of iPad-specific function keys, such as home, photos, show on-screen keyboard, cut, copy, paste, media controls, and a search function. These make the functionality of the iPad paired with the keyboard so much more user friendly.

Here's a quick rundown:
Pros
  • Removable bluetooth keyboard
  • Long lasting battery life (keyboard)
  • Responsive keys
  • Easily connectable
  • Thin
Cons
  • Awkward closing
  • Cramped keys
  • Portrait mode only


Not only am I using my iPad with the Zagg Folio for work but it also got me through my last semester of grad school after my 9 year old MacBook passed away. A lot of people don't think a tablet can be a replacement for a laptop, but if you're simply doing basic note-taking, word processing, and internet browsing a tablet is really all you need! My iPad + Zagg Folio and I are attached at the hip from the boardroom to the classroom and I couldn't imagine it any other way!

Overall, I completely love it! It's so much more portable than a laptop but much more user friendly than an iPad itself. I give it 5 stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...